Friday, October 18, 2002

Medical Leave

Oct 12-17 2002

I had surgery about a week ago. It was so silly. They told me I needed all these pins and screws. But when I wake up there's 2 tiny holes in my ankle and no repair done at all. I am very upset. There can't be nothing wrong. It hurts so bad! I can't walk uphill because it doesn't even bend. (I find out later in 2004 they missed a ton of damage and eventually got it repaired the right way by a civilian doctor in NM.)  I get 2 weeks of medical leave woohoo! I put in forms to go home but am only allowed 7 days.



It took 24 hours exactly to get home to California. I had crutches so the airline in England treated me like a Queen. I got a wheelchair and a special seat on the plain with more leg room. On the way back to Germany the USA airlines wanted me to take my cast off to scan it. Seriously? No wheelchair. I carried my bags around my neck and hobbled all over the airport. They put me in a middle seat of 5 people and took my crutches away. No biggie though. I'm a solder I can take it. It just kind of shows you how people in different countries work in some aspects.

I had a great time at home as usual. Saw some family, both regular family and church family. It's been a little over a year since I've seen everyone. The kids sure had a lot of questions.

It was a short trip, but a great one. I love it here, but I sure do miss home. And with the lack of progress in my surgery it looks like the Army wont want me for very much longer. So maybe that wont be a problem. I'm torn. I love the Army. But I guess there's nothing I can do at this point.

My Pastor is so crazy!







No comments:

Post a Comment