Tuesday, September 24, 2002

Oktoberfest

Sep 20-23 2002

Eric and I had just been to Munich not too long ago, but he really wanted to show me Oktoberfest, and I really wanted to see it. He tells me a lot of stories of when he went with a few other soldiers that have moved on already. He seems so excited.


We got back last night. As usual, the train ride was nice. I love it so much. It's cheap and the trains have cute little snack shack type of things. I love it because I get hungry and have no idea what anything is. Can you believe Germans haven't figured out the chocolate and peanut butter thing yet? It drives me crazy! They have this Nutella stuff though, I don't like it. But there's other hazelnutty snacks I enjoy. Don't get me started on the drinks. The coke's taste different in a good way. There's other flavors that I've never heard of. I basically just have to point when I want something.

Oh, right, Oktoberfest! It takes place near a part of town we visited last time. They have, if I had to guess, maybe 20-ish beer tents. They are huge tents. They must hold about a thousand people each. Eric didn't think we'd get a seat but we did! We chose Hofbrauhaus because it's a brand we know. We went there last time. I like it. It's like drinking bread that makes your head feel a little funny. I guess Hitler used to frequent here. Not something to brag about really. Mozart used to come too, and that is totally brag worthy.

They bring you beer in huge glasses, and no I couldn't get through half of it. They also sell pretzels and schnitzels. Both of which go surprisingly well with beer. Almost like peanut butter and jelly!

They took a photo of us and gave us key chains later.


Outside of the tent was like most fairs minus all the yelling at you to try their games. Well, actually, there was a little yelling. It seemed less annoying but maybe that was because I didn't understand them. :)

Eric bought me a heart cookie that says "Ich Liebe Dich" aww so sweet. I will keep it forever! We also got a bierstein for our parents.

Then we decided to ride the rides. I am definitely a roller coaster kind of girl, but there are some rides I just don't like. For example rides that take you way up top and stop. They just stop! Like we're going to leave you up here to soak in all the scary heightness and maybe wet yourself a little before we bring you back down. That is the ride we chose to ride. Why? Because when I looked at it moving before, I failed to watch the entire trip. It didn't look that bad. Oye!

We spent the rest of our days looking around town again. We went back to the Hard Rock Cafe as usual as well as the Ratskeller. I still can't believe I am here doing these things. Sometimes it hits me... OH HEY! I'm in Germany. Wow...






No comments:

Post a Comment