Sunday, July 7, 2002

Berlin Germany

July 3-6 2002,

Wow what an awesome week this was! Eric and I took a train to Berlin this time. There was a long and painful walking tour around most of the city. We saw places Hitler had stayed. The coolest was seeing parts of the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie. We each bought a piece of the wall for a souvenir. Sometimes I forget I'm here doing this stuff. It's so unreal.The streetlights are very cute. The little green and red men for walking have these neat hats.


The walking tour brought us to this cathedral that has a huge chunk of the roof missing. We shot at it in WWII and they left it like that. There are a lot of pillars with bullet holes in them. I guess the reason the buildings here are so beautiful is they replace brick at a time over the years when they need to. But bricks with bullet holes from the wars are left alone. It's strange.

We took a smaller train north of Berlin to a Concentration Camp called Sachsenhausen. It was used for political prisoners mostly. But it still has the rancid smell of death. It still had the ovens, and it still had torture tools. There was a beautiful happy ending to one of the prisoners story. I wish I could remember the name of the book but it was in German.

Eric and I also stopped into a place called the Love Museum. Wow not what we thought. There was an abundance of asian penis' in the art. Except I'm pretty sure they were exaggerated quite a bit. It was interesting art nonetheless. But I still felt like a pervert at times.

We also took a trip to the zoo. I have so many photos of animals! Zoo's are my favorite thing. I love to have met someone who enjoys them too and doesn't think I'm childish. :)

Berlin was fantastic. There's a lot of tourists, but if you avoid them it's okay. It's easy to appreciate the art and history of this city.










No comments:

Post a Comment