Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Munchen (Munich) Germany

June 14-17 2001

Munich is probably the 3rd famous city I've heard of before. We hopped on a train from the Mainz hauptbahnhof down to Bavaria. The first notable place we visited was called Residenz. It's a Bavarian palace that our soldiers bombed in WWII. They started construction right after the war, and now it's a museum. It's filled with treasures that are centuries old. I just love seeing things like this. It's impossible to see this kind of history in the USA.


Duke and Medusa
The above image was in the courtyard. It's of the 1st Duke cutting off the head of Medusa. Inside was a long hall filled with paintings of every leader associated with this Residenz.

We went to this place for dinner. It was a very nice, dark and romantic place called the Ratskellar. Not a great name for a restaurant, right? IT WAS AWESOME! I had something called German Potato Soup and fell in love.

After walking around town a little bit we found something called Bavarian Film Studios. It looked interesting so we went in. While I recognized only some of the movies the one that stood out the most for me was The Neverending Story. They had the rock guy, the snail, that bat thing, but most importantly Falkor the Luck Dragon! Let let you sit on him in front of a blue screen and give you a recording where it looks like you're flying. There were too many kids though, I didn't want to take anyone's spot.





So as we're heading back to the hotel Eric decides he wants to show me something. I look up and there it is! The largest coo-coo clock in the entire world!

We watched it spin and dance for a good 5 minutes. Times like this I wish I had a professional camera.

The next morning we decide to take a train to Dachau. This will be my first concentration camp. This one I've heard about in movies so I was a little more nervous. The tour guide was incredible. We walked the path of the victims. He would tell us stories. There seemed to have been a lot of torture here. The smell of death was bad. It was overwhelming, even after all these years. I don't think it will ever go away. I guess it serves as a reminder to those who claim it's fake. We were told they make all students go to a "camp" to let them know it was real.










There's also photos of people and their stories. If the small beds they had to share weren't punishment enough, there was extra rooms build for special punishment. Dogs shouldn't even have lived like that. It's heartbreaking.

Seeing as this was quite depressing Eric took me to the Hafbrauhaus. It's one of the many beer tents in the area they hold Oktoberfest. They have good food too! They brought us out 2 huge beers! Luckily I've been blessed with the ability to pee faster than I drink. Our depression slowly faded away. Eric was one happy guy! I love his face.



We decided we wanted to come back for Oktoberfest, which for some reason is actually in September. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment