Friday, March 15, 2002

Mainz in March

Not much going on over here thanks to Guard Duty. The other units are pulled out already and have paid civilians guarding there territory. Not us! Our First Sergeant decided to volunteer us to keep doing it instead of our actual mission. We also have the opportunity to get new furniture in the barracks like all the other buildings. Nope. We have guard duty.


In some sick weird way I enjoy guard duty now. Granted I'm not roving around like I used to being broken and all, but I enjoy being with good people.

Time off

What time I get with my close friends we totally take advantage of by going out. We've primarily been going to Mainz Germany. It's a 50 Deutsche-mark trip, or actually 30 Euro now. They switched to Euro's in January. We actually work in Mainz normally but in a different part. We like to go to the shops. The streets are filled with bakery's that you can smell for blocks. My friends introduced me to a Doner Kebap seen spelled 10 different ways. Oh man it's so good. The Turks make it here. You can find their little stands everywhere.

There's a shop that's like a German hot topic. It's full of black lights, little metal dragon figurines and smells of Nag Champa which is my favorite incense. Evans hates it lol.

I LOVE the clothing shops. Not for reasons you might think though. Germans seem to be a few decades behind as far as style. Girls here wear clothes that I've seen in my moms photos from the 70's. Not really in that "it's coming back" way. More in a "it just got here" way.

Ice cream! Germans have the best ice cream I've ever had in my life! It's softer and taste just the right amount of sweet. The flavors they use I can't even begin to describe. There's this one kind that looks like spaghetti. I know I'm going to miss all this when I have to leave. http://waldo.villagesoup.com/blog/blogpost/spaghetti-ice-cream/343838

No comments:

Post a Comment