Tuesday, December 25, 2001

1st German Christmas



There it is! My first Christmas away from home. I have a pretty optical tree from Ikea. A lamp with a pillow case on it that turns the room red. And some Christmasy scented candles. This actual day I'm kind of alone, but it doesn't bother me. Jay stopped by to watch an episode of the simpsons with me for half an hour. That was nice of him. :)  Evans and everyone is either on guard duty or working. Since I'm sitting here with a shattered ankle bone I'm useless. I'm enjoying my day chillin here on my bean bag chair.


It's a white Christmas. My first ever. A few days ago the commander felt we needed a morale booster. Morale is important in the military. Suicide rates are pretty high so they need to stress the importance of high morale. CPT Williams rented a bus and took us all to a sports bar in Wiesbaden. Afterwards Evans and SGT Patterson (Patty) decided we should walk around town. I'm still on crutches by the way. I was too excited to care! It's pretty out there!

2 Days ago Evans and Silent Bob asked if I was up for walking around in the snow. I said of course! Germany is known for Christmas Markets. It was amazing. Very snowy and cold and fun! We stopped often but still fun. They had me wait while they stood in line to get Gluwein. While they were in line this random German man walks up and starts talking to me. Like, carrying on a full conversation. It was hilarious! Evans and Silent Bob walk up and he's still talking, he just kept getting closer and closer. HA FUNNY! So this Gluwein stuff is yummy. It's basically warm wine. Like hot cocoa. It warmed us up pretty good and I got to keep the mug! YAY souvenir! There's little shops everywhere. Homemade crafts, coo-coo clocks, things made from bee's wax. oh I love this!

Oh my ankle! They tell me it's pretty messed up and I will need screws. I have to see a doctor in Landstuhl which is 90 minutes away. It takes a long time to get an appointment. I should be out of this cast in January maybe.

I'm just here hanging out now. Enjoying my free time. :) Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What neat stories you have! I envy you, didja know that? It's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're crazy! You should share your stories. Someday your kids are going to want to know about your past. Relationships, feelings and all that jazz. Because we all know parents hide stuff like that! mmhmm! Someday they can read it all and be like "my mom was human too"

    ReplyDelete