Friday, November 30, 2001

Post Sep 11 in Europe

What we, as soldiers, are doing in Europe


We found out that night the guy responsible was some guy named Osama Bin Laden. Who the heck is he? A lot of people want him dead. We're not in a war yet but I wish we were. How does a country allow a corrupt man to rule them? Will they be happy if we kill him? Or will they want revenge? From what I gather the majority will rejoice when he is dead. Same for Hussein. If I spelled that right.


Since that night we've been doing guard duty. I was worried at first because we had to carry our M16's around a housing area. It's currently our job to protect them. It seemed dumb because we were loading with empty magazines at first. I mean really? If danger comes should I just throw my rifle at someone? Now we have ammo. 20 rounds. Locked, but not loaded.

We've been working tough shifts. The first 2 weeks were 8 hours on and 4 off to sleep. Now it's 14 hours on and 6 off. We're doing nothing but guard duty. There's a major road that goes through the housing area that the German's use. They aren't very happy with us right now. We can't let anyone through without a military ID and we have to search EVERY vehicle for bombs. One German old man was so upset with me. I had to make him turn around. He yelled at me "MY DEUTSCHLAND! MY DEUTSCHLAND! STUPID AMERICANS!" Then he turned around, and backed up into me. Ouch ouch ouch! His back bumper slammed into me and hurt my hip a bit. Nothing dire. Just shocking.

My spare time

We'd randomly get 2 days off in guard duty but it rarely worked out so my buds and I were off at the same time. The people who were off took me to Ikea. WOW! Coolest store every seriously. So I decided. My portion of the room is half the size of my roommates. Since her boyfriend sleeps there she can have my bed and I'll buy one of these nice loft beds. 200 marks! that's only 100 bucks for this loft bed and mattress. It will be a nice space saver for me. Evans and I playing games UNDER the new bed.



Also. Big news. As much as I promised myself I'd stay single. I just can't. My buddy Evans I mentioned. We're dating now. Well, kinda. I mean it's pretty tough not seeing each other much right now. But we find time to play WWE. :) It's crazy, he's so out of my league. He's so cute and very mellow. I've never met anyone like him. He doesn't make scenes. He used to go our with the girl next door, my suite-mate. We're not too fond of each other. I'm sure she'll really like me when she finds out I have the man she's been wanting back. Muhaha! Really I don't think about her, it's all about him.

Unfortunate events

So after I get this nice fancy bed with stairs to climb up to it, I break my ankle. I can do it though. I get on my butt and climb the stairs that way. I was taken to the German hospital and they took such good care of me. They stitched up my chin. Oh, because I had to be carried down some stairs and I was dropped. They didn't cast me, instead they gave me these weird purple half-crutches things. I have to go to the Army sick-call tomorrow to see what's going on. oh man. they gave me good drugs!

1 comment: