Friday, March 30, 2001

BCT: Graduation Day

Not a lot of journal time. They took it along with my civilian clothes for the duration. I just got them back today. Graduation day woohoo! So, how did it go?


Let me start by saying. THANK GOD I SURVIVED! Seriously. I'm actually a lot tougher than I realized. We had one final march yesterday. It was supposed to be 12 miles with 60lbs ruck sack. Well. 12 miles turned into 18 because the trucks weren't there. I almost think it was planned. I think years of marching, walking to school, and walking all the way to River Park from the Tower District prepared me for these marches. They were nothing to me. Several people fell out and had to get picked up. One girl was so close to making it. We couldn't let her fail BCT now. Her battle buddy grabbed her rifle and I carried her ruck. Now think, that's 120lbs total. It was only a few miles, but I am dang proud. I'm paying for it now though. The entire bottom and back of my ankles are one giant blister. I wish I had a camera.

I got picked on a bit by the drill sergeants. Yelling is hard for me. Partially because I'm shy, mostly because my voice just isn't that big. It was tough for us all. A lot of girls had a cry fest almost every night. I didn't feel the need. It was hard it really was. But if you do what you're supposed to you wont get in trouble. Easy concept right? They yell to intimidate. Nothing more.

My favorite part was the obstacle courses. The rain and the weird red clay-like dirt here made it a blast. I loved being muddy.

The ceremony was really awesome. It took us by surprise actually after the march was over. We formed up and the Commander along with our drill sergeants came along and pinned us. My DS said to me "I really didn't think you'd make it private. I am proud of you. You were a tough biscuit." He called us biscuits haha. That was the first time I had cried.

Families came from all over. I was surprised to see that I was the only one there without one. But my parents are the farthest away. Flying isn't cheap. It's ok. I know they'd be here if they could.

It's morning now though. It's all over now. Despite the feet. I feel great. I've done it. I've graduated. Now if you don't mind... We are on our way to Burger King to eat as many Whoppers as our tummies can stand. Sorry defac! no service from us today. Mmmm whopper. ~drool~

All the ladies of Echo Company

My Brothers


PVT Burrow Out.

1 comment: