Saturday, December 28, 2013

Road Trip

We left Christmas Eve to go to Florida to pick up Eric's parents and move them in with us. We had some neat stuff planned! Eric booked us a room right on Bourbon street. Beautiful view honestly, but we were both too sick to enjoy it. We slept almost 20 hours before hitting the road again. We did manage to listen to great jazz between naps. Eric said we'll plan on coming back for about 5 days because there's a WWII museum and an aquarium we really want to see. And naturally we have to try the food! So we'll be back once his parents get settled in.


We head to Florida but it's so hard. We're too sick. We haven't eaten in 3 days now so there's no energy. We make it just past midnight on the 26th (technically Christmas night.) The night of the 26th Eric get's worse. We went to the clinic and got drugs and I thought he was getting better. He coughed non-stop all night. I've never seen him so sick. We're going to the e-room as soon as we get back to Texas.

The night of the 27th we stop somewhere for rest. Eric can't lie down. He can't breath. He sleeps sitting up, barely I mean. We pick up and go and Eric sounds awful sitting in the car. We stop at a rest stop and he can't walk. He takes my cane but he's so shaky. I'm pretty sure he might be delirious. I told him to stop a dozen times to let me get the car but it's like he didn't understand me.

We finally got home and I'm here in the e-room now. He has severe double pneumonia. The x-ray is pure white. It's bad! His fingertips were purple when we first checked in and his oxygen levels are ridiculously low. So they're going to sedate him and put him on a breathing machine for one night to rest his lungs. The sedation is because they are putting a tube down his throat. I wouldn't want to be awake for that.

So I'm in the waiting room now in Rowlett. They had to take him here from Rockwall. His parents are with me and we're just waiting now for them to get him set up.

-------------

Shortly after writing this up the doctor called me in to tell me Eric took a bad turn. His oxygen levels were dangerously low. I didn't understand what that meant. I carried his heavy bag of clothes in with me every day for a week before I realized this wasn't going to be an overnight recovery. H1N1 was suspected, but not confirmed until 3 weeks into being at the hospitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment