Saturday, April 17, 2004

Rattlesnake Round-up

There's not much to do in this small town of Alamogordo NM besides go to walmart and stare at fish, or go to the zoo and stare at turtles. The zoo also has this adorable sounding bird that sounds like a bicycle horn. I love to feed that little guy!



There's something that's coming to town called the Rattlesnake Round-Up. Eric and I decided to go. It was pretty interesting. Once you walk into the room all you hear is rattles. They are behind some thick glass which is nice to hear since they all still have their poisons.

I did some research on these events. The Round-Ups have been happening since the 1920's. The internet has nothing good to say about them. I think it's just hippies complaining about the poor treatment of snakes. I'm all about loving animals, but not when they are a nuisance. They kill a lot of people and animals in these parts, and if a group of people want to gather them, show them off, then sell them I'm totally okay with that.

There were a few vendors that were selling rattlesnake skin items. Eric and I tried rattlesnake on a stick. Hmm... not really that good. But hey! We can add that to our list of weird things we've had. Have I mentioned we've had horse? Some restaurants sell in in Germany. Some people are pretty judgy about that stuff, so I hope you don't hate me for it. I've also had crocodile I think? Honestly I get crocs and gators mixed up.

The event was pretty neat regardless of what I read. There was nothing dangerous about it. No civilians held the snakes in their hands, no one taunted them or threw them around. I also saw my first dragon. I didn't get to touch it, but the children did. How exciting!






No comments:

Post a Comment